Saturday, April 08, 2006

A Parent's Responsibility

I recently became the proud father of a beautiful baby girl. Since her birth, I have thought about a lot of things that I need to do to help her grow, learn and enjoy her life with her Mother and I. I also have to make sure she is safe. As she gets older, I will have to tell her about some of the more unpleasant things and teach her what to look out for when it comes to the bad people out there. I'm going to try real hard not to be like some of the parents in this world who think a game console and a TV are the best baby sitters around. I will also not allow her to have a computer in her room. I will not go out and buy a piece of software and hope that it will keep her from the less than desirable things on the internet. I believe the best solution is to communicate with my child and inform her of the dangers of not only the internet, but in the real world as well. I think that if I keep the computer in a central location for the whole family to use, that hopefully I will be able to monitor what sites she visits and how much time she spends on it. Now, I know that she will get to an age where she will expect some privacy. I will be more than happy to give her that privacy, but she will have to understand that it is my responsibility as a parent to guide her in the right direction. The internet has opened a whole new door for predators to get to our children. It's now even easier for these people to communicate with our kids. Our children don't even have to leave the house to be exposed to these deviants. That is why it is more important now than ever to monitor what our kids do online, and to take action if and when we see something suspicious. If I don't watch over my little girl, then who will?

2 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so my hero. :)

Good post, thanks for updating!

-=M=-

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. I'm very proud of you!
---Your "favorite" sister---

 

Post a Comment

<< Home